Whether you are interested in dining, travel, reading, quilting, or dancing, gaming, drinking, or enjoying a movie with friends, the AAUW Springfield, IL Branch has one or more interest groups for you. Our interest groups offer additional opportunities for members to interact and socialize.
All AAUW Springfield, IL Branch members are welcome at any group— just contact the hostess so that there are enough chairs and refreshments for everyone. Hosts’ contact information may be found in your membership directory. Check the Branchline for monthly meeting place and other pertinent information.
2023-2024 Monthly Schedule
|Arts and Crafts
|Diversity Book Group
Arts and Crafts
- Please consider joining us to gather and either work on your own art or craft project, or do the make n take project that will be provided each month! We will do various crafts, taught by different crafters, hopefully ranging from card making and stamping, to beading, to fiber arts.
- Chair: Julie Krehbiel and Tara McAndrew
- Meetings: First Thursday, 6:30 pm
- Each month we meet at a local theatre to see a current film and then go to a nearby restaurant for dessert, coffee and conversation after the movie. The films selected usually feature strong female characters or stories of interest.
- Chair: Amy Green
- Meetings: First Saturdays afternoon (usually)
Diversity Book Group
- We meet monthly to discuss book selections which encompass all the ways in which people differ, including gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. A lively discussion encouraging personal growth always occurs! New members are welcome at any meeting.
- Chairs: Pat Braun & Connie Frankenfeld
- Meets: Fourth Monday, 7:00 pm
- We’re back on the road again and ready to share our impressions from travels far and wide. Join us to experience the wonders of nature, the splendors of art and architecture, and the pleasures of interacting with people from many different cultures. If you’d like to join this group but haven’t already, just let Carol or Sally know; you’ll receive future e-mails as plans evolve.
- Chairs: Carol Kerins & Sally Vogl
- Meets: Fourth Thursday, 7:00 pm
GOURMETS DINE OUT (FORMERLY COUPLES GOURMET)
- Couples Gourmet with a twist. Wonderful food and fun without the cooking. Join other group members for a delicious dinner at a restaurant or a nearby location for a catered meal. Couples and singles are welcome to enjoy dinners 3-4 times per year. Additional details will be in the Branchline.
- Chairs: Carol Kerins and the Team
- AAUW friends meet monthly for lively conversation and interesting food in a variety of area restaurants.
- Chairs: Meise Fahsl & Sue Garland
- Meetings: Second Thursdays, 11:30 am
- Whether you prefer cozies or hard-boiled, we are sure to have something to please you.
- Chair: Sharon Ruda
- Meets: Fourth Tuesday, 7:00 pm
- Join us for a fun afternoon of Pinochle. All skill levels are welcome.
- Chair: Cheryl Wycoff
- Meets: Third Thursday, 1:00 pm
- Bring a craft or stitching project and enjoy an evening of socializing and fun.
- Chair: Pam Hughes
- Meets: Second Wednesday, 7:00 pm
- Each monthly dinner has a theme representing a different type of cuisine. Teams are formed at the September meeting; each team cooks once during the year. Additions to the sub list are welcome during the year.
- Chairs: Cornelia Powell & Lori Cox
- Meets: Third Wednesday, 6:30 pm